Our most important role is providing a safe environment. Just last summer we patrolled for 1,893 hours!
We do this by providing an effective and efficient lifeguarding patrol service to the public to protect and preserve human life at the beach.
We’re always looking for current and new lifeguards to volunteer their time.
Surf Lifeguard Award This is the first step on the Surf Life Saving New Zealand lifeguard pathway. Our club can help you earn this qualification and other patrol support qualifications.
If you are over 14 and can swim, then we can train you up to gain your Surf Lifeguard Award (or Bronze Medallion as it used to be called). We run a number of trainings or refresher courses throughout summer depending on demand. Full training takes about 26 hours and covers modules in surf skills, basic first aid, rescue techniques and risk management. Some skills are taught theoretically however most are taught in a practical environment.
Once your training is complete you will be examined on the following:
- 400m timed pool swim to be completed in under nine minutes
- run-swim-run in the surf
- tube rescue in the pool and surf
- first aid and CPR
- communication signals
- theory questions
- rescue tows and releases.
To find out more information or when the next training programme begins contact email@example.com
October - Up and coming training/workshops available
- 3 October – IRB Drivers Exam, Wainui 9am start
- 16 October – Patrol Captain Course, Waikanae, 9am-3pm – Registrations Close 1 October 2021
- 17 October – Engine Maintenance Workshop, Wainui 9:30am – 3:30pm – Registrations Close 8 October 2021
- 18 October – Intro to Surf Coaching Session 1, Wainui, 5:30-8:30pm – Registrations Close 8 October 2021
- 20 October – Intro to Surf Coaching Session 2, Waikanae, 5:30-8:30pm (candidates will also participate in the Missing Swimmers Training)
- 20 October – Missing Swimmers Training and Scenario, Waikanae 5:30pm, Registrations Close 8 October 2021
- 29-30 October – SLA/PS Exam #1, Waikanae – Registrations through the SLA Academy
- 30-31 October – First Aid Level 3(PHEC) & Refresher, Waikanae 8:30am-5:30pm – Registrations Close 15 October 2021
Please note: refresher training is much shorter and you do not have to re-sit the exam. The theory is done online and practical modules through the club at any time.
Rookie Lifeguard Programme This programme is for 12 to 13-year-olds and has been designed to help junior surf members prepare to be a surf lifeguard. The Rookie Lifeguard Programme aims to promote practical lifeguarding to the younger members and develop strong ties between senior and junior members as a result of involvement.
Once qualified rookie lifeguards will be able to identify the role of a surf lifeguard and demonstrate a range of surf lifeguard skills.
The training season matches the patrol season and runs on Sundays for one hour from 10am.
For more information about our Rookie Lifeguard Progamme contact firstname.lastname@example.org